Your higher mind is split between listening to your ego and your divine self, and is always choosing which side to listen to. When your ego realizes you are no longer listening to it, it will use attack methods to gain your attention. Your ego may induce fear, old grievances, anger, anxiety, random thoughts, etc., switching from one to another in an effort to force you to pay attention to its concerns instead of your divine self’s guidance.
Because of the ego’s attacks, you may remember old events or feel deep-seated, negative emotions. You may become fearful or angry when these emotions/memories/thoughts arise, but, keep in mind, this is an opportunity for healing (although it might not feel like it). Each unwanted emotion or thought that comes to your attention is an opportunity to release it through forgiveness. With each release, the veil becomes thinner and your connection to the Spirit becomes stronger. For more on releasing unwanted thoughts and emotions, read Meditation Techniques.
As your healing progresses in a seemingly worse manner:
- Realize that the ego’s negative thoughts are not true
- Train your mind to listen to your divine self instead of the ego
- Quiet your mind and feel peaceful
- Reduce fear, anger, anxiety and other unwanted emotions through recognition and release (forgiveness)
- Let the love of the Divine flow through you (meditation or prayer can be helpful). This will energize and restore your mind and body